Sunday 21 February 2016

Chapter 6

Embodiment of Power



Jay sat still, relaxing, trying to figure out what he should do now. In front of him, Wraith's swirling Aura constantly changed both color and density. It was quite the sight, the Mana looked like it wasn't wholly part of reality, its ephemeral colors seemed slightly out of tune, and he could clearly see the old man through the Mana without the Mana-colors actually distorting anything. Quite mysterious.
First of all, he might as well get to know what his new sight gave him. View 'Eye of the Magi'
[Passive Skill]
Eye of the Magi
Level 1 (1%)


Mana flows in everything; it's the essence of reality, a power holding everything together. Being able to differentiate the different kinds of Mana and their properties is the pinnacle of Magic Sight. With the ability to differentiate all kinds of Mana and their interaction clearly you will more easily copy and create new Skills and Spells, Upgrade Skills and Spells, and your ability to Control Mana Increases to the utmost extreme.
This Skill gives you the ability to see all the colors of Mana
Increases Mana Manipulation Control by 10000%
Decreases Mana Drain when using Mana Manipulation by 1000%
Increases the Experience you gain from creating, copying or upgrading a new Spell or Skill by 10000%
The Possibility of creating a new Spell or Skill increases by 400%
If you can grasp the inner mechanisms of a Spell or Skill, you will be able to recreate it for your own use with ease.
If you understand the inner mechanisms of a Spell or Skill, you will be able to Upgrade that Skills or Spells with your ingenuity.
If you understand the inner mechanisms of a Spell or Skill, you will be able to interrupt that Skill or Spell.
Jay sent out a thin pale yellow tendril of Mana from his finger, using Mana Manipulation to touch the Mana around Wraith. As soon as the his Mana-tendril touched Wraith's Mana, it disintegrated; and to Jay's horror he felt how his Mana was being slowly consumed by Wraith's Aura of Mana. Abruptly Jay tried to stop using his Mana Manipulation, severing the tendril coming out from his finger at the source, but it didn't help. For some reason, his Mana connected together with the tendril again and kept being siphoned off. Not knowing what to do, Jay had to wake Wratih, “What's happening? Why are you trying to drain my Mana?”
Wraith just sat there, doing nothing. Did he have to leave? Jay didn't want to leave this place; for some reason, he felt safe here.
HEY!” Jay shouted, trying to get some reaction from Wraith. He was starting to panic slightly, noticing that his Mana didn't regenerate after it left him. “Stop taking my Mana!”
Uh?” Wraith said, barely opening his mouth. “What is it? Didn't I tell you to leave?” he didn't bother to open his eyes.
Why? I can try to learn some new Spells here as well as anywhere else,” Jay said. “And shouldn't you help me a bit more? You said you're my teacher, why can't you help me some more? For example, what color corresponds to which type of Mana? Only this knowledge would help tremendously, but you haven't even told me that.”
What did you do?” Wraith asked, severing the tendril of Mana between the two. “Why did you try and take my Mana from me? You shouldn't try to steal my Mana, lest my automatic Mana Drain Defense kick in and drain you dry.”
Yeah,” Jay said, stumped about what to say. “Shouldn't that have been something you told me before it actually happened?”
Right, maybe I should have. Little brother Mentalor always said I would make a terrible teacher. I'll give you a few more pointers. Listen carefully now, I won't repeat myself. These are the colors of the eight Basic and four Superior Mana Essences: Force Mana is pale yellow, Lightning Mana is purple, Fire Mana is fiery orange, Cold Mana is turquoise, Wind Mana is pale green, Water Mana is dark blue, Earth Mana is amber brown, Metal Mana is silver, Light Mana is white, Darkness Mana is black, Life Mana is dark red, Decay Mana is dark green. Now you can experiment with their uses directly without having to discover which colors do what. Have I taught enough now?”
That's good to know,” Jay said, his thought distracted slightly by some Wraith said. Mentalor? Haven't I heard that name somewhere before? He hoped to get an answer from Claudine, because she had a better memory than him, but even after a few seconds no answer came. Then it struck him. The ring. How had he forgotten about that? Opening his Inventory he took out the ring he had found earlier, only to see that it had changed. With his new eyes it had a small Aura shining from it, dark red, purple and dark green colors were intermixed in a rigid pattern. Most of it shone dark red, so Jay figured the ring had something to do with Life Mana. Even this slight information was good to know. Then he had another thought, maybe Wraith could help identify the ring? Since it said the ring was from Mentalor's Legacy Set. “Wraith, do you know what this is?” Jay tossed the ring to Wraith without much care, if the old man wanted something from Jay, there wasn't much Jay could do about it, but if there was a possibility of getting the ring Identified, then that would be a great boon.
Hm?” Wraith said, a tendril of pale yellow Mana floating out from his cocoon, catching the ring, bringing it up to right in front of his right eye. “I'll have a look. Maybe you should close your eyes? I've been told it's slightly unpleasant when I open my right eye.”
Before Jay could even do as he was told, Wraith opened his right eye. Jay's body froze, he couldn't move and his mind was filled with the sound of his heart pounding like deafening drums. His eyes grew bleary and it was troublesome focusing on anything but that eye. Wraith's right eye had a completely white pupil, a pale grey iris and where there should be white, the eye was completely black. And to Jay's new sight the world seemed to be sucked into that pupil, everything around it distorted in way that made Jay feel extremely queasy. He finally shut his eyes, but there was little change, his mind still pounded, he felt sick and cold sweat had covered his entire body. As suddenly as it had come, the pressure was gone. “What was that?” he gasped, not daring to open his eyes just yet, his mind still spinning.
That was an Identification Spell I created myself. It connects my mind with the Watchers' Library and relays all information about the thing I focus on. Quite handy, if I say so myself. Everything that has ever happened is recorded thoroughly in their archives,” Wraith said, explaining, yet not giving away anything Jay could understand. “But this is rare. If I was still in my youth I would instantly kill you for this ring, no hesitation at all. Though this ring wouldn't have been in existence when I was young, so this is a moot point. Anyway, this ring tells me that little brother Mentalor failed to become Ageless and has most likely died. Such a shame. He was a brilliant Creator of Spell Constructs, he even helped with the Spell-circuits in my body. Too bad, truly too bad.”
Jay didn't know what to say, he just stared at the ring, hoping to get it back. “So, can you give me the ring's information? I want to use it, but I can't do that before it is Identified.”
Yeah,” Wraith said. “That's done now, I imprinted the ring with its information. You only need to touch it to know what it does. But I'm not sure I should give this back. It's a precious relic of a brilliant Sourceer, not something just anyone should have.” Wraith body suddenly trembled.
I found it,” Jay said. “It's mine. What right do you have to take it from me?” he hoped Wraith wouldn't make things too difficult for him now that Jay had become his disciple. The ring was the best thing Jay had ever found, and it wasn't something he wanted to part with. “Please? If this Mentalor was a Sourceer, wouldn't he want to give his Legacy to someone that was just embarking on the path of becoming a Sourceer? Isn't that what a Legacy is? A help for the later generations.”
What you say may be right,” Wraith said, shaking his head, his closed eyes didn't show much emotion, but Jay sensed traces of sadness in the gesture. “Fine, I'll let you have it. But the decision to use this ring or not is yours, think wisely. It's really powerful because it gives the first wearer a Unique Skill, or maybe it should be called Spell. It's one of the strangest things I've seen. I didn't even think a thing such as this could even be created, it goes beyond my understanding.”
Now Jay could barely hold himself back, he really wanted to see that ring. To use it. Whatever the Skill was that would be imparted to him, it had to be great. “Do you have the information for the Skill? Can I have a look at it before I choose?” Caution was never a bad thing, though, so if he could learn something before using the ring, it would be for the best.
I can't impart that knowledge,” Wraith said, sighing. “I don't understand the Skill fully enough to imprint it in the ring's Aura. But I can explain some of it. The Skill is a Passive Support Skill, and one almost as strange as 'The Eye of the Magi'; it is called 'Embodiment of Mana' and its function is to restructure your body at its fundamental level, remaking your cells into something that can't only hold Mana, but is also made from Mana. It's a bit like my body, but a lot more refined. It should also increase your Maximum Mana-pool by several hundred percent, but it also gives you a slower Regeneration. And because the Skill remakes your body, it also realigns what you are weak and strong against in a most peculiar way; it makes you take a lot more damage from Magic Damage and a lot less from Physical Damage. This is really bizarre, usually it would be the other way around when these kinds of Passive Defense Skills are made, but this can't really be called a Defense Skill, it's just a Passive Skill which changes your body. Mentalor must have had some plan when he created this, some insight into why this Passive Skill would be superior to having a regular body, but I can't figure out what those reasons would be. Here,” Wraith tossed the ring to Jay. “Oh, right, one more thing. If you put the ring on, you will not be able to remove this Skill, no matter what you do. It is permanent, like 'The Eye of the Magi', and if you try to remove it, you will instantly die.”
The Embodiment of Power (Legendary Set-Ring) (32g)
Increases Perception by 100
Increases Willpower by 60
The first person who puts this ring on gets a Unique Skill from Mentalor's Legacy Skill-set. The Skill is called 'Embodiment of Mana' and grants a Unique Passive Skill, reforming your body into a special body with vastly different properties from a normal body.
Requires 240 Wisdom to use
Requires 120 Intelligence to use


Looking at the ring, Jay didn't know if he should be disappointed or happy. The ring only raised Perception and Willpower? Those weren't really things he wanted to focus on raising, but he didn't have any better rings, so he didn't bother exploring what he felt about the ring. It was the only one he had, and it gave large amounts of Stats, though in Stats he had figured out yet. There had to be something great about those Stats, if they were the only increases a Legendary Ring gave. Jay needed to learn some more about that. “The ring gives an increase in Perception and Willpower. Enlighten me Master, what does those Stats do? I've never really understood them.”
Wraith, still sitting there with closed eyes and a tranquil face, seemed to have fallen asleep. Jay waited, but got no answer. Now what? Did he use the ring? There wasn't really any choice when he thought about it. He was only slightly cautious because of that Unique Skill. It sounded good, but he wouldn't know before he put the ring on and after that he couldn't regret it.
Perception makes it easier to view things at a greater magnification, making you able to see further away and deeper into things; the stat is very useful when you need to create intricate Mana-matrixes and seal them in crystalline form,” Wraith suddenly said, interrupting Jay's thoughts with some useful information. “Willpower gives you the ability to you control your Mana at a distance, the more Willpower you have, the further away from you will you be able to control Spells. It also gives some slight increase in your ability to completely active a Spell or Skill, and also increases its functionality by a slight degree.”
That's great,” Jay said, truly feeling that too. It seemed that Willpower would be very useful for him. If he could be so far away from his prey that he couldn't even be seen before he struck, it would be incredibly beneficial. “Another thing, what do you think? Should I put the ring on and get the Skill?”
I'm amazed you even have to ask,” Wraith said. “I'm still almost willing to take it from you and use it myself. But since only my head is biological matter, it wouldn't give much of an increase in my ability to survive, so I can hold back from stealing candy from a baby. Use it, and right now. I want to see what it does to you.” Wraith muttered under his breath, but Jay could hear some of it. “This will be fun... best entertainment for ages... doesn't die... still great research-subject... always fun to learn something new.”
The parts he didn't hear didn't help alleviate Jay's thoughts on the matter. And he didn't really have enough Stat-points to increase is Wisdom and Intelligence to 240 and 120. He looked at his Available Stats and realized he couldn't raise both Wisdom and Intelligence to their goal. He was close though, a few more Levels and he would be there. “Master, is it possible to put the ring on before I reach 240 in Wisdom and 120 in Intelligence?”
To get the Skill, yes,” Wraith answered. “But the Increases in Stats will be reduced by some percentage because you can't completely harmonize your Mental Stats with the ring. I think you should still do it. I will be fun.”
That made his decision for Jay. If he could get the Skill now, it would be worth it. But just to be on the safe side, he increased his Wisdom to 240, figuring that at least having one of the Stat-requirements met would be for the best. For some reason, he didn't get full Mana when he increased his Wisdom, only the possible Maximum Mana rose, but it didn't fill up. Was it impossible to Regenerate Mana here? It seemed to be that way, but that was very strange; didn't Wraith say Mana was everywhere. So why couldn't he Regenerate Mana here? “Wraith, are you taking all the Freeflowing Mana from the air before I can? Is that why I don't have any Regeneration?”
Hoh? So you realized that,” Wraith said. “But it isn't what you think.” He gestured to the pitch black dome above. “This barrier has created a separate space from everything else, and the Freeflowing Mana that was here when I was sealed inside has already been absorbed by me. Because of this, I can only use whatever Mana I have, and if I don't just guide it to create a reaction, but actually use Spells that burns Mana as fuel it disappears forever. Quite infuriating if I say so myself.”
That,” Jay didn't know what to say. “Okay. That doesn't sound good. How do you replenish your Mana then?”
The Mole-squirrels outside send in plants and animals that contain Mana, which I then drain and make my own,” Wraith said.
Oh,” Jay said. “And I was supposed to be one of those, I'm guessing?”
Yep, but you survived... good for you,” Wraith said, smiling slightly.
Not caring anymore about this line of thought; he had escaped the clutches of death, so why bother thinking of a could-have-been scenario?
I'll put the ring on now then,” And as he did, Jay's skin started glowing in a blindingly white color, though it fluctuated slightly, shimmering briefly with more colors than Jay could even name. His Mana-pool emptied rapidly. Soon it would be completely empty. What was happening?
Hm,” Wraith said. “There seems to be something wrong...”
What?” Jay asked. “How wrong? And what can I do to fix it?”
I forgot to tell you that you needed a minimum of 10000 Mana before putting the ring on,” Wraith laughed. “Don't worry, this is fun. Something I've never seen is happening. I wonder what will happen when all your Mana is gone. Will it start to drain your life? Will it take Mana from its surroundings? What will happen.”
Fun? What are you talking about. Quickly help me. If I die, you will regret it too, right? So, help me. If you're as powerful as you say you are, it shouldn't be difficult, right? Just use your all-powerful Mana and fix whatever needs fixing.” Jay talked quickly, his tone growing more frantic as his Mana was almost completely drained.
Fine, I'll help,” Wraith sent out an uncountable number of thin tendrils of Mana from his Aura and they sank into Jay's chest. Warmth spread through Jay and his Mana stopped depleting, leaving him with 85 Mana. “I was only teasing. Can't you take a joke?”
Not when you joke about me dying,” Jay said. “What kind of humor is that?”
Gallows humor?” Wraith said. “It's something I've had to be proficient in.”
Closing his eyes, Jay tried to feel whatever was changing in his body, and a tranquil rest seeped through him, relaxing him beyond what he thought possible. It felt so good, just being, sensing the tingling warmth inside him. It was almost euphoric.
After some time, Jay couldn't tell at all how long. It could have been minutes, it could have been hours, the pleasant feeling went away. Ping!
By being the first to put on the Legendary Ring from Mentalor's Legacy Set your body has completely changed.
You have learned the Skill 'Embodiment of Mana'
View 'Embodiment of Mana'
[Passive Skill]
Embodiment of Mana
Level 1 (0%)


Mana flows in everything; it's the essence of reality, a power holding everything together. By having Mana become part of your fundamental being, your body has changed at its very core. You are no longer merely Human, but something more, something greater. You have become the Embodiment of Mana.
Increases Maximum Mana by 400%
Decreases Mana Regeneration to 25%
Increases Physical Resistance by 150%
Decreases Magic Resistance by 150%
All Damage Taken will decrease your Mana before your Health
Hm? Jay thought. This Skill was very in line with how he had increased his Stats. He had always had very little Health, but now he suddenly had an incredible amount of it, only in the form of Mana. Wasn't this a bit too powerful? It was almost to the point of being unfair. Jay couldn't really figure out how he had gotten so lucky. This was practically one of the most perfect Passive Skills he could think of for him. Now he didn't have to care about Vitality or Endurance and could focus all his Stat-points on the four Mental Stats. He wondered if there was something akin to using your Health instead of Mana to activate Skills. If so, this was its opposite, and it wasn't too unfair.
Wraith interrupted Jay's musings, “Now leave me alone, go outside and create those eight different Spells. The only suggestion I have is that you make them simple. Simplicity is better than using all your time to create something spectacular. You just need to prove to me you can be proficient with all eight basic Mana and I'll help you some more. So, leave me alone now? Please?”
A tendril of Mana flew out of Wraith's Aura and coiled around Jay, lifting Jay from the air and abruptly tossing him at the black dome's wall.

12 comments:

  1. Some should just make this game :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the chapter as always~
    Also, I think I spot a typo:
    “To get the Skill, yes,” Wraith answered. “But the Increases in Stats will be reduced by some percentage because you can't completely harmonize your Mental Stats with the ring. I think you should still do it. I will be fun.”
    It's the last sentence: "I will be fun."
    Should it be "It will be fun." or am I just mistaken?
    In any case keep up the good work!
    Best Regards,
    Your Fan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for always bringing new stuff to the story with some kind of logical meaning.The ring had been on my mind for quite a long time ,exited to see it was really useful with connecting to the ancestor life and helping out Jay's new quest, profession.You have surprised me in a good way with even expanding Jay's world with more knowledge and rules that make the story more interesting , it offers a quest for the readers to try to find out what might they do while the story solves the previous questions connection the story and helping Jay in his survival! :D Keep bringing this quality and I am sure a lot of people will appreciate your planing and building of this world and characters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goddammit The Awesomeness has destroyed my Patience Barrier.
    This is too much Amazing, things just keep getting better.
    Can't you get some helpers to increase the speed? i'm sure that quite a lot of us would love to help you if we can read more of this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the chapter!
    there is one thing i don't get, how the hell does 150% less physical damage work? shouldnt 100% be all damage negated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It raises physical defense by 150% of the stat, not 150% of damage. If his 100% defense stat before putting on the ring was at 4, now that he has put on the ring it's at 250% and he's got 10 defense. Obviously, I used small numbers to simplify things, but that's what it means.

    Same with his magic defense. He had it lowered by 150% because of the ring so now it's at -50% of the stat. If he had 4 before, now he has -2. Basically, he's absolutely SCREWED against magic. And it will only get worse for him as his /base/ defense to magic "grows" because he will actually LOSE defenses unless he gets something later on that nullifies that. Let's just hope he doesn't almost die from some spell before he figures that out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course he'd be amused with you, Jay. Nothing fun has happened in ages! LMFAO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Am I the only one thinking that making damage drain your mana and spells as well while also having only 1/4 of the regeneration is rather bad?

    ReplyDelete