Saturday 10 October 2015

Chapter 7

The Gains of Going Outside

Hearing a squeak from behind, Jay looked back and saw the fox skewered on a sword in the hands of a tall, slender man with pitch black hair. The man slashed through the fox, bringing out the blade, swishing it through the air, spraying droplets of blood on the ground. Clad in the usual Beginner's Beggar-Gear, the man's only different equipment was a short, slightly curved sword sharpened on one side. Sometimes Jay thought this game was too graphic, he could not see any difference from reality, or what little he remembered from reality at least. “Thanks! You saved me.”
The man grunted, pushing away his glistening, blue-tinted black hair from his sharp eyes, looking down on the fox.
The man didn't leave right away, giving Jay an idea: it would be great if he could follow around someone that might help him if something attacked again. He looked at the man with 'Observe', but saw nothing but question-marks. It seemed the man was a lot higher level than Jay; that increased the validity of his idea.
The man spent some time with a knife, dismembering the fox into skin and meat, putting away the pieces in his Inventory.
Is that how you collect things to sell from monsters?” Jay asked. “I didn't know you had to collect parts from animals to sell.”
The man grunted again, this time it sounded more like an agreement, but that was more of a guess than anything.
As the man walked away, Jay followed at a few meters distance, only stopping as he saw a String Herb to pick up. For some reason the man avoided Giant Beetles, and because Jay didn't find String Herbs often, he began killing the Giant Beetles with his pins charged by Mana Manipulation. When Jay killed the first Giant Beetle with a pin, the man looked back at Jay in surprise, but said nothing, only nodded once, then went back to killing everything except the Giant Beetles. Thus, a silent co-operation was formed.
It took longer than Jay had thought to find a hundred String Herbs. He walked around like a tail on the sword-wielding man's trail for hours, picking herbs, killing Giant Beetles, and sometimes helping the man if there was more enemies than the man could handle. All the while, they had not spoken a single word, which made Jay a bit uneasy, but their co-operation was good, and they didn't hinder each-other. The man even dismantled the Giant Beetles for Jay. And once, the man saved Jay from another fox when Jay was trying to pick a String Herb.
After almost eight hours of walking around the grassy plains they were once again close to the city gate and Jay had picked a few more than the hundred String Herbs he needed. And having advanced to Level 8, he felt he was done with hunting for today and wanted to go into the city again; especially since he had spent almost all his pins on killing Giant Beetles.
They walked through the gate and into the city together.
Well, thanks for today. I need to go somewhere now,” Jay said, hoping to get an answer at least at their parting. “It was good having you there. That you protected me when I needed to regain my Mana by Meditating was really helpful. And I could gather my herbs without having to always be careful about creatures nearby. You even dismantled the Giant Beetles for me. I couldn't have done it without you. So, I thank you.”
The man nodded, saying nothing. Jay tried Observe again.
??? - ???
Level 12
Warrior
(698/850HP)
'Observe' still didn't give much information. Maybe he needed a higher level than the one he Observed to see more in-depth information, or maybe the Skill had to be higher Level to show more. Jay didn't know, but didn't really care either. “What's your name?”
The man looked at Jay for a silent moment. “Relief.”
That didn't make any sense to Jay. “What do you mean 'Relief'?”
"Relief... An shin," the man said. "Anshin. Bad translation device."
Translation device? Jay thought. “So, your name is Anshin? I'm Jay. It's nice knowing you. I could say nice meeting you, but it was hours since we met.”
Yes,” Anshin said. “I will be in your care from now on.”
In my care? Jay was a bit perplexed about this strange man and his weird way of talking. A window popped up in front of Jay as he was thinking.
Anshin has sent you a Friend Request
Do you accept and want to add Anshin to your Friend List?
YES / NO
Jay pushed YES as soon as he read it through; it couldn't be bad to have a friend to use as a meat-tank against enemies. “Thanks. I don't really know how to work the Friend List or whatever, but I'll figure it out.”
Good,” Anshin said. “Before leaving. Trade? Rabbit skin for Beetle Carapace?” He brought out a bunch of Rabbit skins from their earlier hunt.
Jay used Observe on the Rabbit Skin and Beetle Carapace.
Torn Rabbit Skin (132g)
A piece of poorly removed Rabbit Skin. It has lost its integrity slightly, but can still be used to make leather clothing of fair quality.


Cracked Beetle Carapace (221g)
A piece of poorly removed Carapace from a Giant Beetle.
The hard plates can be used to make armor.
Three Rabbit Skin for one Beetle Carapace,” Jay said, knowing that it was a slightly bad deal for Anshin, but also knowing he needed money dearly now. He had almost used all his pins, and was soon out of food again. Though his Inventory was filled with Beetle Carapaces, he still thought he should try and get a good deal. “Or you can pay 45 copper coins per piece of Beetle Carapace. Your choice.”
Fair enough,” Anshin said, handing Jay sixty pieces of Rabbit Skin. “I need twenty.”
Jay took out twenty pieces of Beetle Carapace and they traded. “Okay, thanks, I guess,” Jay said. “What are you going to use the carapace for?”
If I give Beetle Carapace to Blacksmith, he makes armor for me,” Anshin said.
Oh, that's good,” Jay said, smiling. “What can I use the Rabbit Skin for? Do you know where I can use it?”
Go to Tailoring Guild,” Anshin said.
Okay, I will do that later then, thanks,” Jay said. “But now I must leave. I have to bring the herbs to someone to complete my Quest. See you later.”
Until next time,” Anshin said, leaving Jay, walking in a different direction.
They split up there and then, knowing they would meet again later, only not when.
-----------------------------
Less than half an hour later Jay stood in front of old man Hyren. “I have brought the hundred String Herbs you requested from me yesterday.”
Oh,” Hyren said, absentmindedly. “Good, good... What was your name again?”
It's Jay,” Jay said, hoping the man hadn't forgotten about the Quest too. “Here you go.” Jay brought out a hundred String Herbs from his Inventory and put them on the counter in front of the old man.
Ah, yes, Jay...” Hyren said. “What was the reward again?” Hyren ruffled through some ledger as if to check what he usually gave for this kind of request. “Ah, yes, here we are.” Hyren brought out 80 black iron coins in stacks of ten on wooden sticks; all coins Jay had seen had a hole in them, and now he knew why: it was so it would be easy to stack them.
Quest Completed!
You have earned 2000 Experience Points.
You have advanced to Level 9.
Nice, Jay thought. View Experience.
Experience
(to Next Level)
(% to Next Level)
6925
(2375)
(81.90%)
Thank you, old man Hyren,” Jay said. “May I ask what you're going to do with the String Herbs?”
These String Herbs are used to make a tincture that gives Mana Regeneration a boost,” Hyren said. “After that the tincture can be distilled to be used in stronger potions too.”
That sounds great,” Jay said. “What does those tinctures cost?”
The cheapest costs ten iron coins each,” Hyren said. “Do you want to buy some?”
Can I see a tincture first?”
Okay,” Hyren said, bringing out a small vial of pale blue liquid from somewhere. “Here is the tincture I was talking about.”
Observe.
Lesser Mana Tincture Vial (30g)
A small vial filled with some mysterious pale blue liquid. Its contents are impossible to discern by looking at it.
Increase Mana Regeneration by 20 Mana per minute for 5 minutes
Thank you for letting me see a vial,” Jay said, thinking that it wasn't worth it to buy the small vial. The cost to benefit ratio was too small, or maybe even negative. He had thought it might be good to have some sort of boost to his Mana Regeneration, but with that small a boost for so much money, he couldn't buy it. “I can't afford buying that right now though.”
That's fine,” Hyren said. “I mostly use this liquid as an ingredient in stronger potions or tinctures. That's why I wanted the herbs you collected.”
You don't say?” Jay said. “Would you perhaps mind teaching me how to make tinctures?”
Are you trying to take the bread out of my mouth?” Hyren asked, a small frown creeping in on his face.
No, no...” Jay said. “It's not like that. I just thought it would be interesting to learn what is made from the herbs I collected. But if you don't want to teach me, that's fine too.”
Good,” Hyren said, the frown slowly melting away. “It's good to crave knowledge. But you do not have the required Intelligence or Skills to be able to learn how to make the tincture anyway.”
How can you know that?” Jay said. “Is there some way to tell that I don't have high enough Intelligence? And how can you tell which Skills I have and don't?”
Well,” Hyren said. “Your Intelligence is fairly easy to discern by just talking to you. And besides that, my Observational Skills are fairly high. They need to be for me to make my tinctures and potions. If I can't understand what ingredients I'm using I can't really make anything worthwhile.”
That explains a little,” Jay said, feeling a bit disappointed that he couldn't learn how to make Potions. It would be really good if he could learn how to make things that gave Health and Mana Regeneration. “It's too bad though. I would have dearly liked to learn how to make some basic Tinctures." He figured that if he could rope Hyren in and make him teach Jay some minor things it might be possible to learn the more difficult things later just by being enthusiastic and willing to work.
Yes, it's too bad,” Hyren said. “If you would like, you can come back later and learn. If you really want to learn how to make Potions you could always choose the profession of Herbalist or some outlier profession that uses Herbalist Skills and Spells. This way you will be given the Skills that you need to have when making Potions and Tinctures. But if you just learn the Skills I will happily teach you how to refine and make Potions.”
Sweeping up the eighty iron coins from the counter and putting them into his Inventory among the rest of his meager amount of money, he now felt for the first time like he actually had some breathing room. He had enough money to buy food and train for days, or he could buy some spells, or maybe even equipment. Thinking of that, Jay remembered what Anshin had said about going to the Tailoring Guild with his Rabbit Skin and see what they would pay for them.
Well, I'm off old man Hyren,” Jay said, waving at the old man. “I have places to be, things to do. I'll see you later.”
Yes, yes...” Hyren said, already with his back toward Jay. “Farewell, young Adventurer.”
It was strange that he had never seen anyone else inside Hyren's shop, but Jay didn't think much about it. There weren't many people inside the Herbalist's Guild compound anyway. He only saw four other Adventurers as he walked out from the place.
Claudine, where is the Tailoring Guild? Jay asked. I want to go there if it's close. And where is the Blacksmith's Guild?
Which do you want to go to first? Claudine asked, then continuing as if it didn't matter what he answered. The Tailoring Guild is close by, only a couple of hundred meters down the street you're walking on, and the Blacksmith's Guild is close to Bluth's store. Where do you wish to go first?
Show me to the Tailoring Guild, Jay said. I would like to get some new equipment if it's possible. Maybe I can trade these Rabbit Skins to for some pants or a jacket.
Yes, Jay, Claudine said, swirling into view in front of Jay and going forward like a stream of glowing fog, showing the way to go.
Some time later, following Claudine through the streets, Jay found himself in front of a large square building with a large wooden door. Above the door hung a wooden sign with a carved loom on it, swinging in the wind. The building was not much larger than where Bluth's store was. It seemed not all Guilds had as large a place as the Magician's Guild and Herbalist's Guild. Maybe it was different in other cities, but here in Garam's Gorge the Tailoring Guild was severely lacking in grandeur.
Jay opened the door, looking inside, hoping it actually was the right place. Inside was a large entrance room with several people standing around talking with each other. Jay looked around to find someone to talk to about his rabbit skins, but before he could, three people walked up to him, all talking at once.
Hey, do you have any leather, cloth or other Tailoring resources for sale?”
I want to buy leather. Do you have any fox skins perhaps?”
Do you want to buy my leather armor? It's made from the skin of rats, but its very good for a Low-Level such as yourself.”
Woah,” Jay said, waving his hands in the air. “I have sixty Rabbit Skins, that's all I'm here to sell or trade. I don't have any money to buy things.”
Che, only Rabbit Skins, eh?” the first person said, leaving.
I'll pay you five copper coins per Rabbit Skin, how about it?” the second man said. “It's a good price, you won't get a better one.”
The third man left before Jay even answered the second. “I won't sell the Rabbit Skin for 5 copper each, not right now at least. If I can't find a buyer that pays more I'll come back to you.”
Suit yourself,” the second man said, sneering at Jay, walking back to a group that was discussing something Jay couldn't hear. And as fast as he had been surrounded he stood alone again, flustered. What was that all about?
Uhm, excuse me,” a feminine voice said from beneath Jay.
Looking down, Jay saw a girl with weird clothes made entirely from the skins of animals, the different furs made a motley pattern. Clad in furs from head to toe, she looked weird, to say the least.
On her head was a tight fitting leather cap that covered all but her tiny face. On top of her head, to either side, where the cap should be smoothly round, two bulges protruded. Her face looked somehow feline with a slight smile on her thin lips and glistening eyes that seemed to see everything. A long braid of hair escaped at the back of her neck, going down to her waist, its glossy black luster shone slightly.
And she looked small. Jay wasn't tall himself, but the girl couldn't possibly reach his chin, and that she crouched, curling in on herself against the wall, made her look like nothing so much as a small ball of fur. “Yes?” he asked.
I'll buy the Rabbit Skin if you're willing to trade,” the girl said. “I needed some low level ingredients to use when I learn Tanning. Rabbit Skins suit me well enough, I guess.”
Jay felt a strange sensation from the girl, she had a presence that belied her stature. Observe.
??? - ???
Level ???
???
(???/???HP)
As always, that helped a lot, Jay thought. “I have sixty Rabbit Skins. What are you willing to give for them?”
Sixty Rabbit Skins, torn I'm assuming because you don't look like you have the Skinning Skill. They could be worth about 10 to 15 iron coins,” the girl said, as if pondering aloud. “How about this? I'll trade you these for the furs.” She opened her Inventory and took out a pair of pants made from some sort of leather; in its seams fur poked out and the pants couldn't be said to be well made.
Maybe, let me have a look,” Jay said. Observe.
Lesser Leather Pants (1380g)
Defense: 7
Durability: 15/18
Leather pants made from the leather of a white wolf.
It was made by the hand of a slightly skilled Tailor. The durability are a bit lacking, but the defense makes up for it.
Increase Strength by 2
Increase Dexterity by 1
Increase Movement Speed by 1%
Requires 11 Strength to use
Requires 14 Dexterity to use
I don't know how much those are worth, but I can't think those pants are worth as much as sixty Rabbit Skins,” Jay said.
Sixty Rabbit Skins cost about 12 iron coins... if you buy the skins from the Tailoring Guild directly. But those are not only of higher Quality, they are also treated to be easily used by Tailors. You would not get 12 iron coins for yours. At most, you will get 6 iron coins, probably less,” the girl said. “I'll give you these nice pants. And 2 iron coins, just because I'm nice. Okay?”
That didn't sounds like someone being nice,” Jay said, reluctant to listen to this woman he didn't know. Maybe it would be better to actually try and sell the skins directly to the Tailoring Guild just to see what he would get for them? “I think I'll try and sell the Rabbit Skins to the Tailoring Guild.”
Suit yourself,” the girl said, shrugging her shoulders. “But if you come back and want to make a deal with me, I'll lower my bid by one iron coin. And as I can see that you're a Beginner among Beginners I will give you this advice, don't spurn the offers of kind older sisters in the future. I only offered to trade because I thought you might need some low level equipment that isn't easy to find. But suit yourself,” she winked at Jay.
Damn it, Jay thought. Now I don't know what to do.What older sister? You're a kid if I've ever seen one.” Jay chuckled at the strange girl.
You shouldn't laugh at others,” the girl said, a slight smile on her face. “Especially here. You haven't even been to another city yet, right? It can be dangerous to insult others. What if I was offended by your words and used that as an excuse to hunt you?”
Jay stiffened at the ambiguous threat. “Is that a threat?”
No, just advice. I won't do anything to you. But not everyone is as kind and benevolent as I am,” the girl said, smiling, bringing her fist to her chest and puffing up slightly.
Walking away from the strange girl, Jay found a counter that wasn't occupied and talked to the elderly woman standing behind it. “Hello, ma'am. I'm here to sell sixty Rabbit Skins and maybe buy some things.” Jay put his Rabbit Skins on the counter. “And do you have any pins or needles to sell in bulk? I need about four thousand iron needles or pins, but I won't pay more than twelve iron coins. Would you sell them to me?”
Yes,” the elderly woman said. “That can be arranged. I will pay you 4 iron coins and 80 copper coins for the skins. Will you pay the remainder with money or do you have more skins for trade? I will bring the boxes of iron pins right away. Wait a bit.”
Making a quick calculation in his head, Jay frowned. “Only 8 copper coins per Rabbit Skin? I want more.”
I will not offer more than 8 copper coins per skin for torn Rabbit Skin,” the woman said, stacking boxes of pins on the counter. “Will you accept the deal?”
No,” Jay said. “No deal. I only want to buy the pins then.”
Okay,” the woman said. “The pins cost 18 copper for 50, but since you are buying in bulk I will make a discount of 25%, making the total price of 10 iron coins and 80 copper coins for 80 boxes of pins. Do we have a deal?”
That sounds fair,” Jay said. “Here you are.” he brought out eleven iron coins and received 20 copper and the boxes in return.
Thank you for you purchase,” the woman said. “Next!”
Thank you,” Jay said, scurrying off as another man went up to the counter.
He went back to the girl sitting at the wall by the door.
So, you're back,” the girl said, without looking up at him. “Knew you would be. Want my deal now?”
Yes,” Jay said, humbled by the knowledge that she had been right. “Sixty Rabbit Skins for the pants and an iron coins is better than what I would get from the old lady at the counter. Deal?”
Yes,” the girl said. “I told you to take my deal before, didn't I? Well, just because you're such a noob, I'll give you 2 iron coins and the pants. Never say I didn't do you a favor if we meet again. Here.”
They traded goods and Jay felt somehow both cheated and satisfied at the same time. It was a weird way to feel after a business transaction. “Thanks for the trade,” Jay said.
What do you need all those pins for?” the girl suddenly asked.
She must have been looking at Jay while he was at the counter. He had no idea why she had, but didn't want to answer the question. “That's a trade secret.”
Hah,” the girl laughed slightly. “You're not a Tailor, or any of the other professions that makes things from leather or cloth, but you still bought that many pins, which have no value except holding together cloth while you sew. Why is that?”
I told you. Trade secret,” Jay said. “I have a use for them, but when I use them they disappear. That's all I want to say.”
That just makes me want to know even more,” the girl said. “Come on, tell me what you're using them for.”
No,” Jay said. “Good bye, little girl.” Without waiting for an answer or anything else, Jay opened the door. He could hear a squawking splutter of either anger or laughter from the girl as he left. I hope she isn't the vindictive type, he thought. He had just said that as a joke, but you never knew with people.




23 comments:

  1. Level 9.... i can't wait to see his updated stat chart *_*

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...]“Okay,” the woman said. “The pins cost 18 -> copepr <- for 50, but since you are buying in bulk I will make a discount of 25%, making the total price of 10 iron coins and 80 copper coins for 80 boxes of pins. [...]

    There is a small typo. :) I also wanted to say that i really like the story and cant wait for the next chapter. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for showing me the typo.
      And I like that you like the story :D
      Few thing motivate me as much as knowing that people enjoy reading what I've written :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Yes, i enjoy it very much, so keep up the good work. :) I definitely want to know how Jay keeps advancing, and im especially curious about bossfights and such things. :)

      Delete
    4. I'll do my best to keep writing. Only thing preventing me to write more is time. I have to have a couple of hours to spare if I want to get into the right mindset to write well.
      And, small spoiler:
      Bossfights will come. When? I won't say; how? I won't say: where? probably somewhere close to Jay.
      Not really a spoiler though :P I don't know of many rpg-games without bossfights.

      Delete
  3. this chapter was very humorous XD cant wait for next one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read from beginning to end at once , very good.

      Delete
    2. Nice, that shows you enjoyed reading what I've written, and I'm happy to hear that :)

      Delete
  4. hmmm....good story enjoying very much thanks for the reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem :)
      I write for my own and your enjoyment; though, what motivates me most is when others find my story enjoyable to read. So, I thank you.

      Delete
  5. I love the story. Please continue to write!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tentative reader reporting back... Now no longer tentative!

    This is very good! Keep up the good work!
    If you keep this up, eventually you'll have a large reader base. Get a bit more content out, and I'll start sharing the story with friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good, good... a tentative mindset is always prudent; in the long run, you waste less time that way. So, I'm glad you think my writings are good enough to spend time on.
      I'll do my best to keep up the good work. A large reader-base would be great to have; that way I might just be able to earn some money off my writing, which would be like a dream come true. But for now I'm happy just being able to receive some praise for my writing, it motivates me more than I would have believed. I've even accidentally lost sleep from losing track of time because I wanted to write. It's a great feeling when you're engrossed in something so much as to ignore the concept of time :)
      Let's make a deal? After the first book is completely published, and if you still like what you've read, spread the word to anyone you think might like it?

      Delete
    2. No need to make a deal, I planned to do that anyway! And with me being kind of a nerd and in a circle of people who do play a lot of RPG's, I might get one or two hooked ;)

      I'm really glad someone is writing this style with english as a first language. There are lots of novels of this type of setting in Japanese, but it takes a while to get the translations, and it's always later than actual releases. And of course, there's the fact that a translation is never quite what the original is.
      Speaking of which, you probably know it, but the light novel "overlord" could give you some ideas (skythewood has a good translation).

      A few points:
      If people can increase things like intelligence and wisdom in the game to levels higher than those in real life (which has been suggested since the beginning in your story), then why is it that the technology in the game is med-evil level? The fact that there's magnetite suggests that the world in-game follows the laws of physics, and so it should be possible to develop technology. And if the world has super geniuses in it, then that sort of thing should be booming!

      Oh, and I'm loving his relationship with his spirit guide, and the uncertainty of whether its sentient or not. I do wish that the main character treated other players more like humans than NPC's though. I feel like the way he spoke to the cat girl was almost the way you'd speak to an NPC. He doesn't seem to be very sociable... XD

      Delete
    3. That's good to hear :)
      And yes, I consider English to be my first language, but it's not my native language. Even so, hopefully, I won't make many linguistic errors.
      I have also seen few web-novels that are not translations; that was one of the minor reasons I started this blog.
      I've read Overlord, and I like it. Overlord's more hidden main story within the stories of many divergent characters make it very different from my own story; so, beyond the great story, I also enjoy reading Overlord because of its different plotting. And if I ever get an idea or is in some way inspired by reading something, I'll write down the idea and think about how/if I could do something with it.

      I'm glad you noticed the dissonance between how the game-world could be and how it is. There are a couple of reasons for the world being in a pseudo-medievil setting, and I don't want to reveal any reason except one of the more obvious ones: that the ease of using magic has caused the world to technologically stagnate, focusing more on the application of magic on reality instead of using science to progress their civilization. I've also only shown parts of a small mining city in the mountains, a small dot on the map of a large world. Few things are as simple as what can be seen on the surface.
      I would also ask this hypothetical:
      In a world where governance is more akin to feudal states than democracy, would the ruling class actually give their peons any advantageous technology or magic that might be used against them?
      Another thing that must be understood is that because the NPCs “live” in a magic-oriented civilization they have different fundamental assumptions about reality. And it cannot be assumed either that NPCs have the ability to gain Stats by Leveling up and attributing Stats. What if the world's inhabitants(NPCs) only have the ability to gain Stats by gaining Experience in that Stat and not by killing monsters and Leveling up? It would then become different since all Stats become more and more difficult to raise, which makes their potential Intelligence and Wisdom much lower than a player's.
      And lastly, since the game has only been available to players for a little over a month, the players have yet to create anything “out of this world”.

      I tried to portray that Jay was in a slight state of shock early on in the story, making him quite confused because he has practically lost most of his personal memories... and he has to struggle to even get enough food to survive, therefore he becomes a bit too focused on that, ignoring his surroundings. Maybe you noticed that he becomes more and more diverse in his thoughts as the story progresses? But because of his early shocked mindset, he has trouble caring and discerning if someone is a player or an NPC and just treats everyone with a slightly distant, yet friendly, attitude, hoping he will meet with the least amount of meaningless trouble that way; and that the AI for NPCs is highly developed is also something that makes him uncertain if someone is actually a real person or not. All this make Jay's actions less than socially acceptable at times, but he doesn't even notice that, which makes it worse.

      I like the Guiding Spirit too, it was one of the first characters I came up with and it's so delightfully weird :D

      Hm, maybe this comment became too long... It wasn't intentional. Hopefully it's informative enough to actually be worth all these words.

      Delete
  7. I very much enjoyed reading till here but I'm confused about somethings
    Like if having 80 int or 80 wisdom make so much diffrence in ones thinking, then you should be a super genius when you reach lvl 100 while investing mostly in int and wisdom
    That could gratly affect the balance of the game.
    The only thing that make it work (but still flawed) is that stats work in a way that 80 or 800 int only affects mana and not your brain anymore
    But still this way anyone can be a gunius by having only 60 ~70 int

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)
      You're right that it could affect the game-balance if you become a super genius at level 100, but that's not the whole truth about how the Stats work. I don't want to tell too much about the underlying game-systems and their relationships because it could spoil something in the future.
      But, for example: when creating the character, the Starting-Stats have a lot more influence on your character's abilities than any raise in Stats from Leveling up. Which is why Jay isn't able to get back the knowledge he believes he had when he was creating his character. This is also partly shown in that every character gets at least one starting Skill and Title completely influenced on the Starting-Stats. (this might be a bit of a spoiler, and I will remove this comment if I get that impression later)
      And another point: if you have 70 INT and claim to be a genius, would you really be a genius when others have a lot more in INT/WIS and can think both faster and more nimbly than you? Let's say you can think twice as fast as you do in your normal life when inside the game, then you would indeed be a genius if you could transfer that thought-processing capability outside the game. But inside the game? If others can think ten times as fast as you, would you actually be a genius?
      My last point also tells a bit about the balance in the game: let's say you can can think very quickly and nimbly, does that actually make you stronger if your opponent can move ten times as fast as you and hit ten times as strong as you?
      I hope this slightly lengthy explanation at least alleviated some of your concerns.

      Delete
    2. To have more intelligence in game than in real life... it seems humans reached gods in that era!
      But it can make sense if you make it like that your stats gets compared to your level for it effects on your body. This way you can't get too muscular or genius or even breaking sound barrier with your walking speed :))

      Delete
    3. Sorry about the late response, got sick and spent time away from the computer.

      There is an explanation to how and why the Stats in-game can and will create pretty much super-humans inside the game. It will be told of later on.
      But god-hood is only a way to express the difference of one state of being and another, isn't it? If you were hundred of times smarter and stronger than normal humans others would call you a god, but would you call yourself a god?
      Anyway, I won't get too into how the stats work on the players, but it will reveal itself as the story progresses.

      Delete